Here’s a different spin on classic nachos! Using sweet potato instead of meat makes this really filling and satisfying. The whole family will tuck into these and be wanting more!
We like to find an organic corn chip, which you can get from all supermarkets. There are a few brands of corn chips around which are totally additive free, but they’ll be the plain flavour. As soon as you start getting into cheese and BBQ flavour you’ll run into MSG for sure.
Related Recipe: Mexican Spice Mix
We would absolutely love you to leave us a comment below and let everyone know what you think. It’s comments like this that make our day, and help us improve a recipe if we need to. We look forward to reading what you think!
Jo and Tracey x
- 1 onion, diced
- 2 c sweet potato, diced
- 1 tbsp. olive oil
- 1 tbsp. Mexican spice mix (recipe linked above)
- 400 g can kidney beans
- 400 g can diced tomatoes
- 420 g corn kernels
- Salt (pinch)
- Plain corn chips (for serving)
- Sour cream (vegan if desired), mashed avocado and cheese (vegan if desired) for the topping
- Add diced sweet potato and onion to a large saucepan and cook in olive oil over med-hot heat until soft and starting to cooking through. Stir but don’t mush up the sweet potato.
- Once cooked to liking, add Mexican spice mix and cook for 1 minute.
- Drain and wash kidney beans and drain corn.
- Drain corn.
- Add drained kidney beans and corn together with all other ingredients to saucepan and turn heat down to medium.
- Slowly simmer for approx. 20 minutes until potato is cooked through.
- Serve with corn chips and toppings. If you have any leftover mixture freeze for another night.