Burgers are always such a hit in our house, mainly because they are versatile…what we mean by that is, you can serve them with veggies and mashed potatoes, or a nice salad, or, of course, between a bread roll!
On top of versatile, they are generally cheap as well, making them perfect for budget-conscious families (like our). Oh and lastly, you can hide a few sneaky veggies in them – which is what we have done with this recipe.
You can find the Mexican Spice Mix recipe here
We hope you love this recipe just as much as we do, so leave us a comment below and let everyone know what you think. It’s comments like this that make our day and help us improve a recipe if we need to. We look forward to reading what you think.
Jo & Tracey x
- 2 tbsp. Mexican spice mix (recipe linked above)
- 1 garlic clove
- 1 cm cube of fresh ginger
- Few sprigs fresh parsley (approx. 1 tsp)
- 1 small carrot
- 1 small zucchini
- 1/2 brown onion
- 500 g chicken mince
- Freshly made breadcrumbs (gluten-free if desired)
Thermal Cooking Method
- In your thermie jug add the Mexican spice mix, garlic, ginger, parsley, carrot, zucchini and onion. Blitz for 2-3 secs/speed 5 (you want it nice and fine, but not puree).
- Tip out into a large bowl, then using a fork, mix this into the chicken mince (the mixture is a bit wet, but this is normal.
- Scoop out a small amount of mixture at a time and flatten out gently. Roll in breadcrumbs and shallow fry in a medium/hot pan until cooked through and golden on the outside. We love to use ghee, but any oil will work fine.
- Serve as desired.
Traditional Cooking Method
- Into a large mixing bowl grate the ginger, carrot, zucchini and onion. Add crushed garlic and Mexican spice mix and stir well.
- Then using a fork, mix the chicken mince into this until well combined (the mixture is a bit wet, but this is normal.
- Scoop out a small amount of mixture at a time and flatten out. Roll in breadcrumbs and shallow fry in a medium/hot pan till cooked through and golden on the outside. I love to use ghee, but any oil will work fine.
- Serve as desired.