We have been making our own washing powder for a while now and have played around with this recipe a few times. We have added the Epsom salts, which we love because it softens the water and from our research, it acts as a type of fabric softener. You could, however, leave it out as it doesn’t make your clothes any cleaner.
FAQ: Why no borax?
A: This is really a personal choice, but from our investigations, we have chosen not to use it. It can be a naturally occurring substance, but although natural, it doesn’t always mean it’s safe. We wouldn’t like to be breathing this in from the dust it will create in your Thermo machine.
NOTE – DO NOT DOUBLE THIS RECIPE, YOUR MACHINE WON’T LIKE IT
Related Product: doTERRA Essential Oils Sign up and Save 25%
We would absolutely love you to leave us a comment below and let everyone know what you think. It’s comments like this that make our day, and help us improve a recipe if we need to. We look forward to reading what you think.
Tracey and Jo
- 500 g pure & natural powdered coconut soap
- 200 g epsom salts
- 500 g washing soda
- 500 g bi carb soda
- essential oil of choice - link above
- Chop your soap with a knife into large bits then put into mixing jug and blitz 20secs/speed 9. Scrape and repeat – you want it super fine so it will break down in cold water
- Add Epsom salts, washing soda and bi carb and blitz again for 30 secs/speed 4
- Turn your machine onto speed 2 and while this is mixing drizzle the oil through the hole in your lid
- Now give it a good mix on speed 7 for approx. 3 sec
- Store in an airtight container - if you find it goes a bit hard due to moisture, just blitz in your machine again for 3-5 secs/speed 7