If you plan on making any kind of dessert that requires a pasty base, then look no further than this recipe. It is very easy to make, tastes amazing and never fails.
The addition of some vanilla bean paste is optional, but it gives it an even more amazing sweet taste.
Tips: Make sure both the butter and water are nice and cold, straight out of the fridge
We would absolutely love you to leave us a comment below and let everyone know what you think. It’s comments like this that make our day, and help us improve a recipe if we need to. We look forward to reading what you think.
Tracey and Jo
- 230 g plain flour
- 40 g icing sugar
- 130 g cold butter
- 1 tsp. vanilla bean paste
- 2 tblsp + 1 tsp cold water
- Place flour, icing sugar and butter into your mixing jug and knead for 30 secs
- Add vanilla bean paste and cold water. Knead for a further 1 minute or until it all comes together
- Form pastry into a ball and roll between two sheets of baking paper to suit the thickness of your recipe
- Most recipes will call for you to blind bake the pastry before filling. It is a good idea to refrigerate the pastry before blind baking. Press the pastry into your pie/pastry dish and place in the fridge for 30 mins.
- To blind bake - Use pie weights or cover pastry with a sheet of baking paper and fill with one cup rice. Cook for 15 mins at 180C
- Then proceed with your recipe