This overnight, vanilla oat porridge recipe is our go to breakfast. It literally takes no time at all, but you do need to remember to put your oats in the fridge the night before. I like to put in 4 days worth, so I always put in 200g of oats which means I’ll have a nice healthy breakfast organised for 4 days (or less if the kids eat it).
The vanilla gives it a natural sweet flavour, we don’t need sugar on top. If you want some sugar, I’d add some 100% pure maple syrup, or a little sprinkling of rapadura sugar, but for us, we just have lovely fresh fruit.
I use our vanilla paste recipe which you can find by clicking here. Making your own paste will save you a fortune! Stop paying $11 for a teeny tiny jar and trust us, make your own. You’ll love it!
Why soak your oats?
Your digestive system will love you for soaking your oats. It helps break down the starches in the oats and the natural phytic acid (which all plants contain) is greatly reduced, making them more easily absorbed by your body. If you go with steel cut oats like me, you really should soak them first. Rolled oats work well, but we are not huge fans of quick oats or instant oats, as they are a bit too processed for our liking.
We would absolutely love you to leave us a comment below and let everyone know what you think. It’s comments like this that make our day, and help us improve a recipe if we need to. We look forward to reading what you think.
Tracey and Jo
- 200 g oats (steel cut is what we like, however rolled oats work well)
- milk of choice (we use almond), approx. 500ml
- 2 tsp. vanilla bean paste (recipe above)
- The night before add oats to a container and pour enough milk on top to cover the oats by 1 cm.
- Stir well and place in an airtight container.
- Put in fridge overnight. The oats will soak up a lot of the milk - read above for the health benefits of soaking oats.
- The next morning scoop approx 1/4 of the contents and place in your thermo mixing jug (this is enough for one serving).
- Add a dash more milk, approx. 2-3 tbsp.
- Cook for 7 mins/90ºC/speed 1/reverse.
- Serve with fresh fruit and enjoy.