This is actually a combination of two of our favourite recipes – Lemon Butter and Sweet Vanilla Pastry.
You can make mini tarts like in the photo, or one large tart for a dinner party, either way, this recipe will be a show stopper.
Lime, or even orange, would work well too. If you do happen to change up the recipe share with us in the comments below, we love hearing about the swaps you make.
We would absolutely love you to leave us a comment below and let everyone know what you think. It’s comments like this that make our day, and help us improve a recipe if we need to. We look forward to reading what you think!
Tracey and Jo
Lemon Butter Ingredients
- 90 g fresh lemon juice (approx 4-5 large lemons)
- 100 g castor sugar
- 60 g butter
- 1 large egg
Sweet Vanilla Pastry Ingredients
- 230 g plain flour
- 40 g icing sugar
- 130 g cold butter
- 1 tsp. vanilla bean paste
- 2 tbsp. + 1 tsp cold water
Lemon Butter Method
- Using the whisking attachment add all your lemon butter ingredients to your mixing jug and cook for 8 mins/80ºC/speed 3 OR add ingredients to a pot and cook on medium heat for 8 minutes.
- You will know it is ready when the mix sticks to the back of a teaspoon, otherwise continue cooking for a few extra minutes.
- Store in a sterilised glass jar in the fridge and allow to cool before making the pastry.
Sweet Vanilla Pastry Method
- Place flour, icing sugar and butter into your mixing jug and knead for 30 seconds OR place into a mixing bowl and knead for 30 seconds.
- Add vanilla bean paste and cold water. Knead for a further minute or until it all comes together.
- Form pastry into a ball and roll between two sheets of baking paper to suit the thickness of your recipe.
- Most recipes will call for you to blind bake the pastry before filling. It is a good idea to refrigerate the pastry before blind baking. Press the pastry into your pie/pastry dish and place in the fridge for 30 minutes.
- To blind bake - use pie weights or cover pastry with a sheet of baking paper and fill with one cup rice. Cook for 15 minutes at 180ºC.
- Allow pastry to cool before filling with lemon butter. Decorate with some fresh raspberries, strawberries or blueberries and serve with freshly whipped cream or a sprinkle of icing sugar.
- Store in the fridge, in an airtight container, for 2-3 days.