This Gluten Free Almond Citrus Cake is sensational!! I’ve just been told I’m officially gluten intolerant. I had already self diagnosed myself, but I still liked to live in some denial. I’d just eat a piece of traditional cake and put up with the bloating and brain fog, again, it was that denial thing.
Anyhow, I’ve now got my test results and yep, gluten, it’s not my friend. I’ve decided to look at this as a positive, think of all the new gluten free recipes I’m going to bring to you and my health is going to thrive. My naturopath has also said I should go refined sugar and dairy free, just until my gut does some healing and I’m feeling 100%. I’ll do what she says, she’s the best, so to celebrate my new food regime I made this flourless almond citrus cake, it was sensational. Who needs wheat when you can make a cake like this!!
If you want to use Wild Orange essential oils, you can check them out here.
Non Thermal Device instructions:
– Simply puree orange flesh with a stick blender and then mix everything else in by hand.
– Pour in tin and cook (instructions below).
– For the syrup, boil the mix in a saucepan until melted and then tip on the cake.
We would absolutely love you to leave us a comment below and let everyone know what you think. It’s comments like this that make our day, and help us improve a recipe if we need to. We look forward to reading what you think!
Enjoy! Jo x
- 1h 5m
- 400 g almond meal
- zest of 1 x orange OR 5 x drops of Wild Orange essential oil
- the flesh of 1 x orange
- 180 g rapadura sugar
- 3 large eggs
- 2 tsp gluten free baking powder
- 90 g desiccated coconut (sulphite free)
- 2 tbsp. rapadura sugar
- 1 tsp. orange juice
- 2 drops of Wild Orange essential oil mixed with 2 tbsp water as the syrup
- Pre-heat oven to 160C fan forced.
- Grease and line a 20cm round cake tin with baking paper.
- Place orange flesh into your mixing jug and blitz for 10 secs/speed 6.
- Add all other ingredients (except syrup ingredients) and mix on reverse for 15 secs/speed 4.
- Pour into prepared cake tin and bake for 60-70 minutes, or until a skewer inserted comes out clean.
- While your cake is still hot, melt your sugar and either orange juice, or the mix of Wild Orange and water together in your mixing jug for 1min/60C/speed 1.
- Pour this over your cake while your cake is still in the tin.
- Take cake out of the tin and let it cool on a wire rack.
- Serve the cake warm with cream or ice-cream (coconut if you prefer), or cold with natural yoghurt, cream or ice-cream.