Oh wow, heaven only knows what is in a bag of store bought caramel popcorn!! If you have done our Additive-Free Made Easy program, you will know the effects that caramel flavouring can have on our bodies – we are talking things like headaches, skin irritations, behavioural issues and so much more.
Making your own popcorn is super fun, super easy and a whole stack healthier than most of the options available at the supermarket. We love adding our caramel sauce over the top for special occasions – birthdays, school parties, sleepovers etc
I generally serve it up in little tubs, so there is enough for everyone and we don’t over-indulge (cause trust me, it is easy to do with this recipe, lol).
This is best served as soon as you pour over the caramel, but you can make the popcorn a few days in advance and store that in an airtight container if you need to be prepped in advance. The sauce could also be made, but stored in the fridge, then just warmed up and poured over before serving.
We would absolutely love you to leave us a comment below and let everyone know what you think. It’s comments like this that make our day, and help us improve a recipe if we need to. We look forward to reading what you think!
Enjoy! Jo and Tracey x
- 3 tbsp. coconut oil
- 1/2 c dried popcorn kernels
- 100 g butter
- 100 g golden syrup
- Place the oil into a large pot and heat to medium/hot. Add the kernels and place the lid on top.
- As the kernels start to pop, shake the pot to ensure they cook evenly. As the popping subsides, remove from the heat and leave the lid on for a few minutes to cook the final few kernels. Tip out into a large serving bowl and set aside to cool
- Using the same pot (no need to clean it) add the butter and golden syrup. Over medium heat, stir continuously until well combined and all the butter is melted.
- Pour over the popcorn and serve.