In today’s episode of The Whole Circle Podcast, we are going to guide you through our three favourite go-to cleaning with essential oils recipes for cleaning your entire home. So if you are into spring cleaning but hate using those harsh, damaging chemicals, other products contain then you’ll surely love this episode!
Did you know:
- Most household cleaners contain harsh, damaging toxic chemicals. These chemicals can cause an array of medical issues and have been linked to various cancers, asthma and skin irritations and more.
- What we tip down our drains makes its way into our waterways. This kills marine life, pollutes our waterways and in some cases has catastrophic effects on the fish supplies…
- Children are often more susceptible to chemical exposure from cleaning products than adults.
- According to the United States Environmental Protection Agency, the air inside a typical home is 200–500 per cent more polluted than the air outside mainly due to toxic household cleaning products.
So, in this episode, we get to teach you how to spring clean on a budget using only three amazing essential oils Lemon, Wild Orange & Peppermint. That’s right only three, and these oils are affordable yet will give you that sweet, fresh clean that is entirely naturally.
1. All-Purpose Spray – Lemon and Wild orange
- 1 x 500ml glass spray bottle
- 250ml cooled boiled water
- 250 ml of white vinegar
- 10 drops of lemon oil
- 10 drops of wild orange
Mix all the ingredients together, give it a good shake, and your all-purpose spray is ready to go. This will clean your toilets, bathroom, showers and everything related plus you get that lovely citrus scent all over your house.
2. Window Cleaner
- Bucket of warm water
- Half a cup of white vinegar
- Lemon essential oil
Mix everything together and give your windows a good spring clean.
3. Soft- Cleaning Scrub (bath, toilet, sinks, vanity, oven and rangehood cleaner)
- ¾ rounded cup baking soda
- ¼ cup unscented liquid castile soap
- 1 tbsp water
- 1 tbsp vinegar
- 5-10 drops of lemon or wild orange essential oil.
It’s effortless to make, mix it up into a consistent paste. Your paste will become a fantastic soft scrub for bath, vanity bowls, tiles, and toilets. Give your toilet an excellent scrub. You can also pour some of it down the plughole and pour a little white vinegar on top, let it fizz up down the plug and clean your drains out.
4. Barbeque Cleaner
Using the same ingredients as the soft-cleaning scrub, make up some paste in a bowl (you may need to double the ingredients to cover the whole bbq) put your rubber gloves on, take the bbq plates off and all of those things that move. Smear it all over the barbecue, give it a few minutes, hose it off or pour a kettle of boiling water, which gives your barbecue a really good clean. Note: We recommend if using on the outside finished surface that you try in a small, non-visible, area to test it will not disturb the finish of the bbq.
5. Microwave and Fridge Cleaner & Deodoriser
- Get a little dish of water, pop in a few drops of Lemon essential oil, pop that in the microwave and then turn your microwave on for a few minutes. All that steam from the water and essential oil will come out into your microwave, and you’ll be able to wipe down the sides so much easier, it will also leave your microwave smelling amazing.
- Use a couple of drops of lemon essential oil and wipe out the inside of your fridge and freezer which will leave it looking brand new again!
- The other thing you can make is a deodoriser for your fridge. Mix some bicarb, a few drops of Lemon or Wild orange essential oil into a mason jar with a few holes in the lid, sit that inside the fridge – a natural way to put a deodoriser and detoxer in your fridge. You can do the same in your bathroom and toilet to help reduce some unwanted smells in that part of the house.
Note: Don’t spray anything inside your microwave, especially around the openings and vents. Don’t forget to turn it all off at the power point before wiping and cleaning.
6. Kettle Cleaner
- Put a couple of drops of lemon essential oil into a full kettle, a teaspoon of citric acid and then boil the kettle. Use this water again, by pouring down the drain that has some bicarb sprinkled in it. Fill the kettle again with plain water, boil it, rinse out and you’ll have a sparkling clean kettle.
7. Dishwasher Cleaner
- Spring clean your dishwasher by mixing in a ½ cup of bicarb, ½ cup of white vinegar, 10 drops of lemon, wild orange or peppermint essential oil in the powder holder. You can use one or all of the oils mentioned. Turn the dishwasher on for a full cycle. You will now have a deodorised, rinsed out, sparkling clean dishwasher.
8. Mattress and Carpet Deodoriser
- Mix some bicarb soda and a few drops of essential oils. You can use Lemon, Wild Orange, Peppermint or a mixture of all. Sprinkle that over your carpet, let it soak in for an hour or two and give it a really good vacuum.
- Same goes for your mattresses, sprinkle the bicarb and essential oil mixture, let it soak under the sun before giving it a good vacuum. Using peppermint essential oil will also help you get rid of all those creepy crawlies for a healthy good night sleep. Super easy!
9. Natural bug and insect repellent
- Peppermint is excellent to use if you’re having a problem with insects and 8-legged friends, especially in your kitchen and pantries. Wipe the inside of your pantry, cupboards and drawers out with peppermint. Or use peppermint instead of wild orange in an all-purpose spray and give each shelf a good clean for a nice clean pantry ready to be restocked.
These essential oil bottles are really quite cheap, you don’t need a lot so a little of this stuff goes a long, and you can use these in many different ways. The best part though is that you’ve cleaned your whole house, 100% naturally, without any chemical sprays. There are no concerns about what you’re using and breathing in.
Links and Resources:
- If you would like to learn more about doTERRA Essential Oils (and how to save 25% on each order), please head over to the Essential Oils tab by clicking here! OR
- Send us an email at email@example.com
- doTERRA Wholesale Enrollment
- Join our facebook group Oils with Additive-Free Lifestyle
- Visit our Additive Free Lifestyle Facebook Page
- Follow us on Instagram
- Additive Free Lifestyle Private chat group
- Check out our YouTube of the DIY Soft Cleaning Scrub
- doTERRA Soft Cleaning Scrub
- Kitchen Cleaner Video