Ice-cream can be very hard to make, believe us, we have had many failed attempts. It’s hard to get ice-cream to not crystallise when you don’t use anit-freeze or an emulsifier like carrageenan. Homemade ice-cream is such a great way to control how much sugar, colours and flavours are consumed so when you find a good easy home-made one, stick with it. We love this version, the trick is that you let your mixture cool on the bench before placing it in the freezer.
To keep this recipe additive-free be sure to purchase pouring cream as thickened cream often contains an additive, and you may also like to make your own vanilla bean paste, the recipe is here: Vanilla Bean Paste
We would absolutely love you to leave us a comment below and let everyone know what you think. It’s comments like this that make our day, and help us improve a recipe if we need to. We look forward to reading what you think!
Tracey & Jo
- 8h 10m
- 200 g whole milk
- 600 g pure cream
- 100 g sugar
- 50 g milk powder
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 2 tsp. vanilla bean paste (recipe linked above)
Thermal Cooking Method
- Add everything into your mixing jug and cook for 7 mins/100ºC/speed 4.
- Pour entire contents into a freezable container, sit it on the bench out of direct sunlight, for one hour. Give a mix by hand and then freeze for four hours.
- Take out of the freezer and pour back into mixing jug. Blitz for 10 secs/speed 7.
- Pour contents into ice-cream moulds and allow to set in the freezer overnight or for eight hours.
Traditional Cooking Method
- Combine everything in a large pot and whisk well. Heat to a medium-hot heat, whisking continuously.
- Once getting bubbly and starting to boil, reduce heat to a slow simmer, then allow to cook for 5 mins.
- Pour entire contents into a freezable container, sit it on the bench out of direct sunlight, for 1 hour. Give a mix by hand and then freeze for four hours.
- Take out of the freezer and blitz ice-cream using a blender or stick blender on medium speed until contents are well mixed together.
- Pour contents into ice-cream moulds and allow to set in the freezer overnight or for 8 hours.